Sunday 13 March 2011

Why I Prefer the Sleek Good Girl Palette

Sleek launched two eyeshadow palettes at the same time at the end of Oct '10 called Good Girl (limited edition) and Bad Girl (permanent). I know that there have been loads of reviews and pics all over blogging-land already so I'm a few months behind, but that has given me the advantage of having had some time to try the palettes out.

I've noticed that most people seem to prefer the Bad Girl palette, but I actually prefer Good Girl. I have very pale skin and very dark hair, so I have to be careful with dark eyeshadows as I can end up looking like a vampire, and like I have tiny eyes, which is not terribly flattering. I don't wear many pink clothes but I do love the way that pink make-up can really wake up my face.

First up here are some shots of the palette - sorry they're not great quality, but they do give a general idea of the palette and the colours:

right: with flash
left: without flash







You can click on the pic below for a close-up of the shades:










Here are the colours swatched onto my arm over a creamy primer:

The shadows are very pigmented and apply onto the skin as they appear in the palette. I left the colours on my arm for about three hours before washing them off, during which time they hadn't budged. They came off with warm soapy water and didn't stain my skin. I always wear these shadows over a primer and they can last all day so no complaints there.


As I mentioned I've had this palette for a few months and I have made noticeable dents in a few of the colours already even though I only use it some weekends. The palette contains just over 1g of each colour, which is a generous portion but I do feel that I do use a good whack of shadow with each application. The texture is very soft and and the shadows crumble at the touch of a brush so there is a lot of fall-out within the palette and potentially on the face when applying the product. The palette comes with a double-ended sponge applicator which I actually find quite useful for picking up the product and patting it onto the eyelid before blending it out with a brush. I find that it also helps to reduce fall-out and mess within the palette itself, as sometimes if I use a brush it can flick the colour about as the shadows are so soft. Also for this reason I wouldn't really recommend travelling with this product as it does feel a bit fragile.

The palette contains 12 different shades, but as you can see a lot of them are very similar, so even when I do run out of one particular shade it won't be a huge leap to switch to using another one - so that's kind of a disadvantage with an advantage tacked on.

I use this palette in two different ways - either as a block of colour across the lid (paired with a big flick of eyeliner if I want extra definition) or as a cloud of colour above the crease, which is the look I went for today.

I used the 2nd lightest shade across my lid and the intense pinks from the top-right of the palette, mixed with a tiny bit of Fishnet from my Urban Decay Deluxe Shadow Palette blended up from the crease and taken half-way across my lower lash line. I find that it's a great way to introduce a splash of colour into my look that's not overwhelming.



No comments:

Post a Comment