Sunday 2 September 2012

Palette Challenge–Autumn 2012

I have literally stacks on eyeshadow palettes on my bedside table, computer table, bedroom floor…yup, it’s easy to see that eyeshadow is my favourite type of make-up, but quite frankly, there are some palettes that I’m getting sick of the sight of!

To that end, I’ve decided to set myself the challenge of finishing at least a few of them off so that I can finally get round to chucking them in the bin and clearing some space for myself that I can fill with all the beautiful, shiny new palettes that will be coming out for Christmas!

I’ve decided to start with a palette that I’ve had for literally years but one that I probably also haven’t touched for years either. It’s about time this one came to the end of its useful working life and got retired (in my bin!) This was actually the inspiration for this whole palette challenge idea. I got it out this weekend as I remembered it as a great palette for bright looks, but when I tried to create a fun, bright party look with it this weekend it just was not happening.  The colours just ended up looking washed out on my eyes and more suitable for work than a night out on the town. I’m not sure if it’s because the shadows are now past their best (I have had this palette for years) or because I was just being nostalgic and remembered it as being better than it was, especially in the face of all the great quality high street make-up that we’ve been spoilt with in recent times.

The palette is the first Urban Decay one that I ever bought and it is their Deluxe palette.

IMG_1940

IMG_1942

It contains nine 1.2g eyeshadows from their now-discontinued Deluxe Eyeshadow range and two dual-ended sponge tipped applicators. This palette is still available however for around £27.

There’s no obvious colour-theme to the palette, with a mixture of shimmery brights and neutrals and a matte black thrown in for good measure.  That is of course the shade that I’ve had the least use out of as I rarely wear black eyeshadow (I can’t remember the last time I wore any).

Here are some close-ups of the eyeshadows and some swatches on the back of my arm (in the order that they appear in the palette). The colours are quite well pigmented and smooth.

2012-09-02

IMG_1946-001

IMG_1947

IMG_1954

I’ve made dents in several of the shades as I used this palette a lot when I first got it, but even thought the only shade that I’ve hit pan on so far is Underground, my favourite colour in this palette is probably Fishnet. I have a habit of not wanting to use my favourite colours up as I have a fear of running out of them which is why I’ll often wear a colour every day for a month then not wear it again for months on end! It’s weird, I know.

Anyway, I’ll see how I get on with this palette challenge and keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment