Sunday 16 September 2012

Smoky Red with On the Hunt

IMG_8041

IMG_2216

This post concludes my introduction to MAC’s autumn 2012 Style Seeker collection which is out now. Yesterday I wore a smoky brown eye with Marché aux Puces and today I created an intense russet eye with the other eyeshadow duo that I picked up from the colleciton, On the Hunt.

IMG_2187

The texture of this duo, like Marché aux Puces, is quite dry and does take a bit of to-ing and fro-ing from the pan to the eyelids in order to build the colour up, but that does give it the advantage of not being too intense straight away if that’s not what you’re looking for. Sometimes highly pigmented shadows can be a bit overwhelming to apply.

My top tip for working with eyeshadows of this texture is to apply them over a creamy base, such as an eyeshadow stick or pencil or a concealer. It really helps the shadow to stick and intensifies the colour payoff.  I used a heather-toned MAC shadestick on this occassion (not because I like it but rather because I’m trying to use it up so I can throw it away!), but my other favourite cream bases are BarryM shimmering eye and lip crayons.

I find red, along with yellow and black, one of the most difficult eyeshadow colours to pull off but after some experimentation I think that the key for me in being able to pull it off is to finish the look with a slick of eyeliner to create some contrast and keep the eye defined. Although it’s one of my least favourite aspects of make-up application because I find it tickles so much I tightlined my eyes for this look with my favourite brown gel eyeliner, then finished with a slick of dark brown mascara. I then finished off by blending some shimmery peach eyeshadow over my lower lash line and the inner corner of my eye.

I’m really pleased with the finished result so I’m happy that I decided to grab this palette in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment